Job Title: Program Communications Officer (under a Consultancy Contract)
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,
Reports to: Chief Programs Officer/CEO
Contract: 6 months contract (renewable based on performance)
About Jamii Media
Jamii Media is a Media and Digital Technology for Development company based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. We support international organizations and development partners to utilize media and technology to supercharge their development initiatives, bring them closer to the communities that they serve and drive social change. Learn more about what we are building, check out the Jamii Media Website.
About the Program
The media environment in Tanzania is becoming increasingly digital and birthing new online media owners daily. The new breed of media owners is not only being presented with the opportunity to deliver content faster and easier, but they are also being presented with the opportunity to challenge and redefine traditional media business models or ultimately introduce new ones.
The Digital Media Innovation Program is a capacity-building program that targets online media outlets in Tanzania. It is funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation and implemented by Jamii Media.
The program, which will run for 18 months, aims to strengthen existing online media’s capacity to report on factual, impartial, and relevant matters of public interest and do so professionally and sustainably. The program will select 20 online media owners and equip them with: skills to produce high-quality content for niche audiences, skills to use new/digital technologies, and most importantly, skills to enhance management and financial sustainability for their online media businesses. Check out The Digital Media Innovation Program to learn more.
Summary of the Role:
As the Program Communications Officer, you will work on implementing the Knowledge and Communications Strategy which partly informs the Learning component of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Framework. As such, you will be required to work closely with the Program’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer and be mindful of the line between learning and communication activities.
The role will require you to handle external communications for the program. You will promote the program’s public image and showcase the company’s thought leadership in media and technology as well as control the dissemination of information on the program’s and company’s behalf.
- Develop a communication implementation plan for the next 6 months. The plan will outline the communication activities including multimedia content for the website, social media channels, workshops, the media and events.
- Write and distribute content including press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, case studies, policy briefs, program participants’ profiles, testimonials and social media content.
- Work with the Head Content to produce multimedia content including videos, photographs and animation.
- Oversee the quality assurance process of all external facing strategic communications before dissemination.
- Organize stakeholder consultative meetings, press conferences, media briefings Q&A sessions.
- Establish and maintain good and effective relationships with editors and journalists and maintain a media database.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics for communication activities on the program.
- Coach and support the CEO/ CPO on communication with various stakeholders on matters concerning the program
Experience and Skills Required:
- Strong skills in using Google Forms, Google Docs, Google Presentation, Google Site
- Strong creative writing and report writing skills in English, targeted copywriting skills are a plus.
- Strong verbal communication skills in both English and Swahili
- Ability to think both creatively and strategically
- Creativity in securing media coverage and buzz with traditional media outlets
- Understanding of social media and experience in using it professionally to support business goals or programmatic impact goals.
- Strong public speaking and facilitation skills
- Experience in communication, particularly research communication journalism, digital media, development communication would be great.
- A Degree and/or Masters Degree would be great but we are more concerned about your ability to get the job done and done well.
- We are also interested in finding someone who is open to learn and learn quickly.
- Someone who loves reading is a welcomed PLUS!
APPLY HERE before November 27th, 2022